CONTEST DESCRIPTION: The Emerald City Search is a treasure hunt open to the general public, with a goal to find a hidden medallion somewhere on public property within the city limits of Seattle, WA. Ten clues will be released, one per day, beginning Wednesday, August 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM. Clues will be published in the print edition of The Seattle Times, the online edition of The Seattle Times (seattletimes.nwsource.com), Emerald City Search’s official website (emeraldcitysearch.com), and Emerald City Search’s Facebook page (facebook.com/emeraldcitysearch). Anyone who has access to the clues on the web or in printed media may participate in the search for the secret medallion. In the event the medallion is not found by 10:00 AM on Saturday, September 4, 2010, Playmasons, LLC may choose to terminate the contest. Playmasons is not responsible for misinterpretations of the clues, timing delays in release of clues, or any occurrences that result from participants who are otherwise not in compliance with these OFFICIAL RULES.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: To be eligible, all contestants must meet the following requirements: 1) be at least 18 years of age, 2) be a resident of the continental United States, 3) NOT be an employee of Playmasons, One Reel, The Seattle Times, City of Seattle employees involved in Search coordination, prize providers, or entities including advertising agencies, affiliates or subsidiaries, or the immediate family members or persons domiciled with any such employee, and 4) agree to complete an affidavit upon notice of prize.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Event subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited or restricted by law.
PRIZES: Winners are solely responsible for all federal, state, or local taxes, fees, insurance and other costs, expenses and service charges associated with the prize unless expressly included. This prize DOES NOT INCLUDE any associated award of costs for travel, accommodations, or related expenses.
One (1) grand prize featuring “40 Seattle Arts Experiences” will be awarded to the eligible person who finds the medallion within the allotted time frame (no later than 10:00 AM on Saturday, September 4, 2010). Prize is as follows:
- Two (2) Platinum Passes good for admission to each day of Bumbershoot 2010 (September 4–6 at Seattle Center), plus additional Platinum Pass holder benefits, and two (2) invitations to watch the Bumbershoot Mainstage artist of their choice at Bumbershoot from a sidestage viewing area. Valued at $900.
- Two (2) passes to 40 events at Town Hall Seattle throughout the 2010-2011 series (TH produced events only). Valued at approximately $600.
- One (1) KEXP 500 Club Membership valid October 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011. Membership includes invitations for two (2) guests to attend four (4) VIP Club Concerts per year, and a copy of Live at KEXP Volume 6. Valued at $512.
- Two (2) spots on the house guest list per month to an event at Neumos, between October 1, 2010 and September 30, 2011, on a space-available basis. Price per ticket not to exceed $20.00. Valued at $480.
- Two (2) tickets to Teatro ZinZanni Seattle, to be redeemed between October 1, 2010 and September 30, 2011. Certain restrictions apply. Also included are two wine flights with dinner and ZinZanni memorabilia. Valued at $350.
- One (1) free art class at Kirkland Arts Center; With approximately 70 classes offered each quarter, the winner may choose from a wide range of artistic media, including ceramics, painting, drawing, and printmaking, and may enter in at any skill level. Up to a $350 value.
- One (1) Family Membership to EMP good for one year, four (4) tickets to each of four (4) SOUND OFF! 2011 performances, and a private, guided curatorial tour of EMP. Valued at $347.
- Two (2) VIP tickets to ONE performance of BURN THE FLOOR at the The Paramount Theatre, September 14–19, 2010, plus access to the VIP Paramount Club Lounge. Valued at $266.
- Two (2) Backstage viewing tickets to the Pacific Northwest Ballet’s Nutcracker. Tickets must be reserved in October for dates ranging from November 27-December 27, 2010; not including Christmas Eve. Valued at $200.
- Four (4) tickets to an event at The Showbox at the Market OR Showbox SoDo, plus VIP Club access for the show, which includes reserved seating with outstanding sightlines and express entry (21+), between October 1, 2010 and September 30, 2011, on a space-available basis. Valued at $200.
- One (1) pass to SIFF Cinema for both the Fall and Winter quarters; season begins September 10, 2010. Valued at $200.
- Two (2) tickets to A Christmas Story: The Musical (Friday, November 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM) at The 5th Avenue Theatre. Valued at $166.
- Two (2) tickets to (4) shows at The Triple Door between October 1, 2009 and September 30, 2010, on a space available basis. Valued at $160.
- A selection of new and recent releases from Seattle’s Fantagraphics Books, autographed by the authors. Valued at $150.
- One (1) year Supporter membership to the Frye Art Museum that includes invitations to exhibition openings, special behind-the-scenes opportunities, and more. Valued at $150.
- Two (2) tickets to each SAM Remix on the following dates: November 13, 2010; March 2011 (date TBA); June 2011 (date TBA); and August 2011 (date TBA)*. SAM Remix takes place at the Seattle Art Museum, 1300 First Avenue, from 8 pm-midnight. *August 2011 SAM Remix location may change. Check the museum’s online calendar at seattleartmuseum.org for up-to-date information. Valued at $136.
- Two (2) general admission weekend passes to Capitol Hill Block Party 2011 (dates TBD). Block Party includes more than 60 bands on 3 stages over 3 days in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood. Valued at $130.
- Two (2) general admission wristbands to City Arts Fest. Guarantees first come, first served admission with no cover at 30 City Arts Fest events in 18 venues, plus two reserved guest list spots at ONE of the following mainstage performances: Belle and Sebastian, Blue Scholars, Gogol Bordello, Big Boi, or She & Him, October 20–23, 2010. Valued at $120.
- Two (2) tickets to Billy Cobham’s Palindrome Tour (Friday, October 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM) and two (2) tickets to Average White Band (Friday, November 12, 2010 at 7:30 PM) at Dimitriou’s Jazz Alley. Valued at $106.
- A Northwest Folklife Festival package featuring two (2) t-shirts, three (3) “Live from the Festival” CDs, buttons, magnets, stickers, a signed and numbered silk-screened poster and a Northwest Folklife tote bag, PLUS VIP hospitality access at next year’s event: May 27–30, 2011 at Seattle Center. Valued at $100.
- Two (2) tickets to ONE performance during the 2011 season at Intiman Theatre. Valued at $100.
- Two (2) patron-level tickets to the winner’s choice of ONE event within Seattle Arts & Lectures’ 2010–11 Literary\Arts, Poetry, or American Voices Series. Includes post-event reception with speaker. Valued at $100.
- Two (2) tickets to ONE performance of The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, created and performed by Mike Daisey at the Seattle Repertory Theater, April 22–May 22, 2011. Valued at $100.
- Two (2) tickets to Seattle Symphony Orchestra (choice of ONE of the following performances: Live and Let Die: A Symphonic Tribute to the Music of Paul McCartney — Friday, September 17, 2010 at 8:00 PM; Yefim Bronfman Plays Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto No. 2 — Thursday, September 23, 2010 at 7:30 PM; Dvorak’s Symphony No. 7 — Friday, October 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM; OR Bach’s “Brandenburg” Concerto No. 1 — Friday, October 15, 2010 at 8:00 PM) at Benaroya Hall. Valued at $90.
- Two (2) tickets to Seattle Shakespeare Company’s production of Hamlet at the Center House Theatre, during its run October 27-December 5, 2010. Valued at $78.
- Two (2) tickets to The Lieutenant of Inishmore at A Contemporary Theatre on October 19, 2010, and two (2) invitations to the Behind the Scenes event before the performance. Valued at $75.
- One (1) Year Family Membership to the Museum of Glass which includes member cards for two adults and children under 18; four one-time use guest passes; invitations to special events and exhibition previews; a 15% discount on Museum of Glass store; 10% discount at Museum Cafe; quarterly e-fuse and monthly What’s Hot Now e-newsletters; discount on annual GLASS Quarterly magazine subscription; and 10% room discount and free valet parking at select Provenance Hotels: Hotel Murano (Tacoma), Hotel Max (Seattle), Hotel Lucia (Portland) and Hotel deLuxe (Portland). Valued at $75.
- One (1) Year Family Level Membership to the Bellevue Arts Museum, which includes two adults and any family members age 18 and under. Valued at $75.
- One (1) Year Friends & Family Membership to the Tacoma Art Museum, which includes two adults and up to four family members age 18 and under. Members also enjoy free access to members-only events, discounted programs and events, and a 10% discount in the store. Valued at $75.
- A package from The Vera Project, including one (1) voucher for a free class (silkscreen, recording or sound engineering), two (2) tickets to an all-ages show at Vera, one (1) T-shirt and one (1) tote bag. Classes and show tickets redeemable until September 30, 2011. Valued at $70.
- One (1) Year Membership to the Hugo House which includes early registration to Hugo House Writing Classics, invitations to members-only parties, and much more. Valued at $65.
- One (1) Year Family Membership to the Henry Art Gallery which includes member cards for two adults and children under 18, unlimited free admission to all exhibitions; a 15% discount on Henry exhibition catalogues and other merchandise; subscription to the museum’s newsletter; discounts on education programs; lectures, and films; and invitations to the Henry’s events and exhibition openings. Membership expires September 30, 2011. Valued at $65.
- Two (2) tickets to any performance at Velocity Dance Center, between September 1, 2010 and May 31, 2011, and two passes for dance classes, good through August 31, 2011. Valued at $64.
- Two (2) tickets to 99.9 KISW’s Holiday Hangover Ball (December 3, 2010 at Showbox SoDo). Event is 21+. Valued at $60.
- Two (2) tickets to any ONE regular On the Boards performance, valid October 1, 2010 until December 31, 2011. Valued at $50.
- Two (2) tickets to a People’s Republic of Komedy show of your choice plus two t-shirts and the opportunity for you or a friend to do a one-minute comedy set at the show. Valued at $50.
- Two (2) invitations to attend 107.7 The End’s End Sessions at Bumbershoot 2010, featuring intimate performances by Bumbershoot artists* Hole, Crash Kings and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes at a top secret venue. *Artists subject to change without notice. Priceless.
- Two (2) invitations to two (2) Mountain Music Lounge performances, to be redeemed between October 1, 2010 and September 30, 2011, and a copy of Live From The Mountain Music Lounge Vol. 16. Priceless.
- Two (2) tickets to opening night of Live at the Film Forum at the Northwest Film Forum. Valued at $30.
- Four (4) invitations to the VIP hospitality area* at Family 4th at Lake Union on July 4, 2011. Guests will receive a personalized behind-the-scenes tour (including the barge) with the Producer, as well as a commemorative poster and keepsake Family 4th tote bag with 4th of July “survival” gifts. The hospitality area invitations are benefits available at the $1,000 donor level, and the barge tour is available only at the $100,000 donor or corporate sponsor level. *The VIP / Donor hospitality area is a restricted space set aside on the Prow for optimal viewing of the fireworks. It includes access to no-host food, beer and wine, and complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. All people aged 6 years and older will require an invitation to this area. Children aged 5 and under accompanied by an invited adult do not require a separate invitation.
Minimum value of complete prize package will be at least Six Thousand Eight Hundred Forty Five Dollars ($6,845.00). Artists, times and event details are all subject to change.
Winners must complete, sign and return the required Affidavit of Eligibility and Release (“Affidavit and Release”), a copy of which will be included in the material provided to winner, within two (2) days of receiving notification. If the winner does not complete, sign and return such Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within two (2) days of notification or otherwise does not comply with these OFFICIAL RULES, that person will be disqualified and will forfeit any prize. Prize cannot be redeemed for cash, and are not transferable or exchangeable.
If a Prize Winner is not found by 10:00 AM on Saturday, September 4, 2010, or the Prize Winner is unavailable to attend the event on the dates specified in the notification materials, prize will be forfeited.
The event is operated by Playmasons, LLC, which is solely responsible for its conduct, completion and awarding of prizes. All decisions of Playmasons on all matters relating to this contest are final. The winner, by acceptance of a Prize, agrees to release Playmasons, One Reel, City of Seattle, The Seattle Times, University of Washington, all sponsors, community partners, and their respective affiliations, parents, subsidies, advertising representatives, and agents, and all prize providers from and against any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, death, disability, attorneys’ fees, costs of litigation and settlement as well as damages or losses of any kind resulting in whole or part, directly or indirectly from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of the prizes or participation in this contest, or while traveling to and/or from a location to obtain or use a Prize.
Playmasons, sponsors and prize providers have not made any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the use of the prize including, without limitation, quality, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose. Further, no responsibilities are accepted for any additional expenses, omissions, delays, re-routing, or acts of any government or authority.
Playmasons, sponsors and prize providers shall not be liable to any winner or any other person for failure to supply the Prizes or any part thereof, by reason of any acts of God, any action(s), regulation(s), order(s) or request(s) by any governmental or quasi-governmental entity (whether or not the action(s), regulations(s), order(s) or request(s) prove(s) to be invalid), equipment failure, terrorist acts, earthquake, war, fire, flood, explosion, unusually severe weather, hurricane, embargo, labor dispute or strike (whether legal or illegal), labor or material shortage, transportation interruption of any kind, work slow-down, civil disturbance, insurrection, riot, or any other cause beyond Playmason’s sole control.
To the extent permitted by law, participation in this competition or acceptance of a prize constitutes permission to use the winner’s name, biographical data, photograph, testimonial or other likeness and/or prize information or personal exposition for promotional, advertising and/or publicity purposes by Playmasons or its designee(s), whether or not in connection with the event, without further compensation to or approval by the winner.
By participating in the contest, each participant confirms having read these Official Rules and agrees that s/he understands and will comply with them.